Tuesday, August 5, 2014

RFTW 2014 & Rocking Around the Cradle of America

Run for the Wall 2014 from California to Washington DC




....takes place in May.  Last year I reported my trip in September.  This year I'm jumping right on it in August.  Last year featured photographs; this year not so much.  Maybe later in the story.  Last year Jim was with me; this year he stayed home with Sweetie and Happy, the canine kids.  Last year we drove to Holbrook; this year I flew to Richmond Virginia.  Last year it was Arizona only; this year Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware (Jessop's Tavern--Yes!), and back to Virginia.  Last year two days; this year 5 days.

So I wanted to surprise David (my brother, aka Papa Smurf) and Kay (my niece, aka Nine Mile) somewhere along the Central Route of the Run.  I also wanted to see the phenomenon of Rainelle WV--school children, volunteer fire department, shopkeepers, the PTA for Rainelle Elementary--turning out to welcome Central Route riders as they do every year.  A symbiotic relationship between RFTW riders and Rainelle kids has formed and strengthened each year.  There is even a book about it, Veterans Reign In  Their Own Parade.  You can find it here or at the ubiquitous amazon.com.

I planned ahead making airline and 1st night hotel reservations in February.  Sometime after that Papa Smurf and Nine Mile put Phoenix on their itinerary for their trip from Denver to Fontana and Rancho Cucamonga California.  It was my pleasure to take them to dinner at Texaz Grill and to have them join us for pizza and cards the following evening.  And the whole time, I had to watch my mouth to keep my secret a secret!

The Universe reminds me that everyday practice of a skill builds to the goal.....
So more tomorrow!  Wait until we get to the cradle rocking.



  


No comments: