Friday, August 8, 2014

Trek To Charleston, Virginia

Jim dropped me off at the airport as the sun was rising.  I normally consider this to be the middle of the night.  I checked my little suitcase with more than the normal trepidation, since I'd be transferring planes in Atlanta to get Richmond.  I took advantage of wheel chair service gratefully.  

Richmond?  Yes, not the smartest choice for my ultimate destination.  My goal was to get most of the way to Rainelle, West Virginia on Wednesday.  Charleston would have been a better choice.  Looking at a map would have been helpful.  And I think I did.  Oh well, lighten up, as Tom would remind me.  

Both flights and the transfer were uneventful and I checked out a cute little car that reminded me of a computer mouse from Budget RAC.  I asked if there was anything about the car that I should know, thinking its modern equipage might be well beyond the technology of Jim's car.  No, no.  No surprises.  Hrrmph!  I mistakenly drove in third gear all the way to Richmond, before I discovered how the shift level slid sideways to full drive.  As for equipage, it featured a radio too complicated for me to master and crank-'em-up windows.  But it drove well and consumed much less gas than I'm used to.  

I arrived at my hotel as the sun was setting, excellent timing!  I reviewed my driving options for getting to Rainelle and wrote down two routes, one more direct and one more scenic.  I decided if weather was good, I'd try the scenic roads.  Otherwise I'd stay on the interstate highway as far as possible.  Just as the reserved car had been ready for me, so was my room at the inn.  A Quality Inn, I think it was.

A day of travel and a night of jittery anticipation.  I didn't sleep the best, but I felt fairly rested as I prepared to surprise David and Kay in Rainelle.   

To be continued...just like life itself!  


No comments: