Sunday, June 24, 2012

But wait! Who is Sweetie?

Sweetie is a mixed breed canine who joined our household last October 9th.  Sweetie was adopted from the Sunnyslope branch of the Arizona Humane Society.  She was billed as a Shih-Tzu/Pug and I can certainly identify traits of those two breeds.  Sweetie is also some kind of spaniel, some kind of terrier, and some kind of Lord-knows-what!

Given a squeaky toy of any shape or size, she can identify and disable the squeaker in a matter of short minutes.  She will then continue to play with it until it begins to lose its stuffing, sometimes in days but usually in weeks.  Then Mom (yeah, me) sews the stuffing back in and it continues like this till Mom 'disappears' it permanently.

When I worked, I felt as though I wouldn't be able to give a dog the time and patience needed.  I lived with a succession of lovable cats the last of whom disappeared (headed for the rainbow bridge?) while I was still living at Michael's. Michael's beloved dog, Skittles, and their new adoptee, Pumpkin, filled an emptiness in my animal loving heart.  I realized I could easily adopt a dog now that I'm retired.  And so I have.

Sweetie was called Pandi Bear by the shelter.  I don't know who her early family people were, but they must have loved her very much.  She is beautifully trained and in excellent  health.  The shelter and vet agree that she was about 2 years old when she and I met.

I can only hope that she is as happy to have me for family as I am to have her!

If you have the urge to play "Name That Dog", feel free to make your suggestions.  Argyle is already in the suggestion box.  Just look at those sox!     

No comments: