Friday, June 29, 2012

Corporate Greed and Me

Businesses who know that they have us by the delicate parts can't refrain from upping their prices.  This isn't because they need to improve infrastructure or defray research and development costs.  This is because they feel the need to advertise massively.


Few days go by without a communications company advert in my mailbox; few go by without an advert in the newspaper; and few hours go by without an avert on TV, computer or radio.  Every time I pay a cable bill for my mega-communications provider a huge chunk of the change pays for the company's advertising.  Any time I am prescribed a brand name drug instead of a generic equivalent its high cost will help pay for its R and D, but much will also pay for advertising.  As much as I enjoy our Aussie Gecko character, I don't buy that company's insurance because I need to be paying a fair premium rather than helping them buy advertising.


The only way to fight back is to buy the generic or the service from a company that doesn't advertise wildly.  It means I have to do the footwork to find the reputable company that prices fairly but advertises little.  It's not easy, but in the long run it saves money and helps the company with greater integrity. 
   

So that's today's rant and I'm sticking to it!  (Not wildly exciting, is it?) Tune in tomorrow to learn how to cancel a service from the Phone-Company-Name-of-the-Year.  At least the current incarnation knows how to spell.


No comments: