Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Other Car Is A Valley Metro Bus!

Mi Coche

On October 31, 2008, I donated my car to charity. Yes, it will be nice to have a modest tax deduction. Yes, it means I'm thinking 'Green!' But mostly it helps me prepare for retirement. It was time to fix or replace my well-worked car, and I chose to do neither.

Instead I walk out to a bus or Metro stop on Central Avenue or Camelback Avenue and hop aboard for a relaxed ride to anywhere. I read my newspaper or a book or do a puzzle or just spend quiet time. I smile at children and sometimes help someone who is new to riding the bus. We are all new at riding the Metro, so I'm the one being helped half the time. I'm getting some exercise walking. I'm enjoying a slower pace to life. I'm reducing my carbon footprint. And I'm being much gentler to my bank account.

People react with astonishment or pity. They have no idea how much I enjoy my car-free lifestyle. If you don't believe me, try it! Click on the title above for help getting started. You don't have to give your car away or sell it. But you might find you want to. I did!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: