Monday, January 26, 2009

So Go Before You Leave Home....

Proposed light rail station bathroom (left).


Jim Walsh at the Arizona Republic reported yesterday that there is a wave of discontent among passengers using the spiffy new light rail, The Metro. It seems these delicate souls need bathrooms at Metro stations, and Phoenix has failed to anticipate and provide for this basic need.

Let me just say this: If Metro light rail stations get bathrooms, then bus transit stations should get them, too.

One of the first hard lessons of bus commuting for me was continence planning. You know, visit my home bathroom before leaving for work? Just like Mom taught me to do before rides in the car? Know the route to the bathroom upon arrival at my distination business? Drink less fluids? Surely Metro riders have heard of these precautions.

For that matter I used to plan accordingly for my car commutes. So, what's with these precious needy folks? Did they all have mini-commodes in their automobiles?

Quite a few Metro riders are enjoying test rides anyway. Metro still looks like a Disneyland ride on weekends: "I know George. Let's bundle up the kids and take them for a ride on the train." I also secretly long for a sign four feet high saying, "You must be at least this tall to ride."

When the newness wears off and the Metro is left to experienced mass transit commuters, the idea of bathrooms at stations will be an amusing memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a blog! Yea.
You're going on my blogroll.

Pat Klemme said...

Hey, Miz Lindy! Thanks. I feel honored to be recognized by you and Rowan. Thanks for visiting. You are always welcome.