Monday, July 2, 2012

Like a Moth to the Flame

Every three years the Episcopal Church meets in national session for about 10 days, beginning this year on July 4th.  As a cradle member of this denomination I have a great affection for what the church can be for all people.  Yet I've come and gone and come and gone several times in my adult live.


TEC is one of the ideal churches in my thinking.  One can worship at a Eucharist nearly identical to the post Vatican II Roman Catholic Church, or one can worship at a simple 30-40 minute communion service not unlike other protestant churches.  I grew up singing a song that would now be labeled politically incorrect, but it said a lot about the breadth and depth of Episcopal beliefs (tune is God Bless America):

I am an Anglican; I am PE (Protestant Episcopal),
neither high church nor low church, 
I am protestant and catholic and free.
Not a Presby, nor a Lutheran, nor a Baptist
white with foam.....!*
I am an Anglican, via media, boom boom.

* with apologies to my friends of other denominations and religions

I love my church and a lot of folks in my church love me, but I don't seem to be able to deal with even this generous pastoral church.  That's about me, not about the Episcopal Church.

July 4th is day after tomorrow.  Like a moth drawn inexorably to the flame, I'll be watching the triennial struggles.  And praying for all who mean to do well for the work of our Creator, Redeemer, Teacher and Guide.  Prayers ascend!

No comments: