Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Warren Buffet and I

Last year I paid no federal income tax.  Let me repeat that.  NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX.  None, nada, zip, zero, no federal income tax.


Should I be complaining?  Probably not; I am quite thankful for the relief.  Yet I continue to benefit from my federal government.  I don't think it should be for free.


Warren Buffett is a vocal one-percenter (hugely rich guy) who believes that he and his fellow top income folks should be willing to cough up more taxes than they are presently contributing.  Some of his fellows agree with him.  Many do not--understandably.

  
So Mr. Buffett and I have this in common.  I felt very strange not paying one cent of income tax.  I felt I should pay at least a token amount, as if doing so would dignify my participation in America.  Some of you will agree; others will not--understandably!

 
Who'd have thought Warren Buffet and I would have something this momentous in common?


No comments: